I made a mental list of things I wanted to accomplish at some point in the near future. The rope climb was actually at the top of that list. I assumed I would need to put many more hours of skill and grip strength work in before I was able to get all the way up. I sort of blew my expectations out of the water on Wednesday, when I climbed all the way up on my first try (of the day). Now I want to be able to do it consistently and faster, along with my other goals. Also, I’m aging and quickly. I’ll be 32 years old on Saturday. 31 (thirty-fun) was good, but not especially productive. I want 32 to be the best year of my life (so far) and I plan to put in the work it takes to make that happen, both professionally and personally.
So, here are my (short term) fitness goals:
* Dead Hang Pull Ups – My first goal is to get a single one. I’ve never done one in my entire life, and I intend to change that. I’m not sure what kind of timeline I’m looking at, whether it is the sort of thing I can work up to in the space of a month or maybe several months, but I intend to make this one my priority. After I get one, the next goal will be to get a bunch. Maybe five in a row. Then ten. After that, kipping. But I want my strict pull ups to come first, as I’m not fond of the idea of an injury if I haven’t got the strength to support the movement.
* Double Unders – I think my current record is four in a row. I want to be able to consistently get 10-20 in a row. This is my short term goal for this. Eventually, I’d like to be limited only by fatigue, not by form. I plan to buy a rope and practice with it regularly. I think having the same rope consistently will help my form, especially since it will be properly sized. Using the gym ropes is always an adventure, since I have to go through half of them just to find the right length.
* Push Ups – Yes, I still do these from my knees. I know, it’s pathetic. I can back squat an average sized woman, but I can’t do a full push up. I think the only way to work this one out is to practice them. It’s just building strength in muscles that I rarely use. I’m also going to practice planks, because I tend to be wormy. I want to be solid all the way through.
* Rope Climbs – I know I met this goal, but I want to expand on it. I want to be able to do it faster and consistently. I want to get to the point where I’m not scared to be up there, because I know how to get up and back down. My plan is just to do them as often as I can, and if there isn’t room or time for me to let the rope down, I’ll do farmer carries to strengthen my grip.
* Hand Stands – I would eventually like to progress into handstand push ups, but for now, I want to get longer handstands. It was only a couple months ago that I did a handstand at all. Now I can get up consistently, but I can’t stay up for very long. I want to get my handstands longer. First goal will be 60 seconds. After I accomplish this, maybe I’ll move into free-standing or try walks. We’ll see how far I go.
Does that sound like a good fitness goal list for the first part of 32? I wonder how fast I’ll be able to check these off. Funny how none of them include weights, it’s all body weight and skill. Hah.