We found our new 1 rep max back squat today. Based on the past few weeks, I didn’t think I’d pr today, but I also didn’t think I’d fail as early as I did. My previous max was 170lbs, which I got when we found our Crossfit Total a month ago. I kind of thought I might have been able to go heavier by 5-10lbs that day, but we had a time limit and an attempt limit. Since the back squat was my first lift of the day, I didn’t want to go heavier and risk pooping out before I got to the others. Also, I needed to be within the time limit. So I got my max and moved on. I was pumped at the time… I mean, 170 is freakin’ heavy! I almost can’t believe I did it that day.
New max? 155lbs. So for the next strength cycle, this is what I’ll use as my “max” to set my percentages.
Super weak, bro.
I feel… I don’t know. Resigned, maybe. I was expecting this, but it was so hard that I was surprised. I thought I’d get 155 easy, and maybe fail at 165 or so. A 15lb loss isn’t the end of the world, though, especially when I’m pretty sure I know what caused it. It’s that daily lunch of diet soda and candy for the past month.
I decided to sign up for a paleo meal service. They have plans where you can get 5/10/15/20 meals a week, and I chose 5/week. I just need lunches! I picked the first three up today, so I’ll try one tomorrow for the first time. I did have a decent breakfast and lunch today anyway, though. Well, a good lunch anyway. Breakfast was… ugh. Boiled eggs and cucumber slices and cheese. I know all of those things are good for me, and I LOVE cucumber and cheese (not together) but I hate boiled eggs. They. Are. So. Gross. But they’re fast and easy and I can prepare them ahead of time, which is essential. Because if it were up to me at 8am, I would just starve.
Anyway, it’ll be a good experiment. If I eat well for the next month or so and re-gain my strength, I’ll know that my nutrition is almost certainly my problem. Maybe I’ll even get less irritable and less fatigued as well. I’ve been having terrible sleepy problems during the day lately.
For our metcon, we did 30 deadlifts and 30 front squats for time, one bar at 65lbs. We could split them up any way we wanted to, so I opted to go 10 front squats, 15 deadlifts, 10 front squats, 15 deadlifts, 10 front squats. Which would have been fine, except that I apparently can’t count when I’m under any kind of pressure (we already know this) and I did 10/20/10/15/10 – ended up doing 5 more deadlifts than I needed to and finished in 4:54. Better than doing 5 fewer, at least.